Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Pre-Departure!

So, it is just about 8 days until I depart to Daejeon, Korea where I will teach English for at least a year! Whoa! So, the big question is: How can I pack everything I need/want into 2 suitcases?! Besides the ordeal of packing...I'll be mentally preparing myself for a country I (let's face it) know very little about. I have several Korean friends that I have learned a lot from and have gotten advice from and whatnot....but Korea! New language, new people, new culture, new environment, DELICIOUS, SPICY, AMAZING new Korean food, living on my own, teaching....I am SO EXCITED!
My self-teaching of Korean hasn't really gone very well so far, but I am hoping once I arrive and really try, I will be able to pick up and piece together some sentences relatively quickly. I'm very interested in the language, so I will try my hardest.
I've never taught before except for tutoring or helping foreign friends with their English. I am a certified TESOL/TEFL instructor, but that won't be useful until I'm thrown into a classroom. I have so many ideas about how to teach young children, I cannot wait to see how much flexibility I have and how willing the children are to learn. I'm trying to keep my mind WIDE open as to how this is going to pan out. The internet is great for a lot of stuff, especially the fact that I was able to find this job, BUT---it is also horrible for putting ideas into your mind about how things are going to work out. There is always good with bad and vice-versa.
Anyways, I'm ready to go, I'm ready for new challenges, meeting new people, making new friends and just experiencing something totally different. Departure is April 20th 10:02am. BRING IT ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment